Rebecca Ronane recently interviewed me for her Facebook page Forward After Fifty She says, "I’m talking…
How to Lift Your Mood and Feel Good About Life
The long winter months can be tough for a lot of people when it feels harder than usual to lift your mood and feel good. But winter or not, we all have off days. Life happens and we get thrown off balance, or maybe we just wake up feeling low.
But the day doesn’t have to stay that way.
How can you lift your mood, feel good about life and get on with your day in the way you want it to be?
It can be hard when you feel out of sorts but here are a few ideas that I have found helpful:
– First you need to see what you are doing and stop, take time out and breathe. In other words, take back control of yourself and your day. Don’t beat yourself up or give yourself a hard time, but give yourself a break, take slow deep breaths into the belly, and make a window of opportunity for yourself to get out of the debilitating frame of mind.
– In that time out you can take a walk in nature, get 10 minutes of sunshine (weather permitting!) or do some exercise.
– Exercise, such as dancing to a favourite tune, increases the feel-good chemicals, reduces stress hormones and relieves depression and anxiety. Research has shown that 20 minutes of exercise can give benefits for up to 12 hours.
– Listening to uplifting music releases dopamine which can increase mood and alleviate anxiety.
– Laughing can help relieve stress and relax the body by reducing cortisol (the adrenaline and stress hormone) and boosting serotonin, (a natural antidepressant)
– Keeping an appreciation and gratitude journal, adding at least 3 things a day, has been shown in studies to help with feelings of happiness, and optimism.
By recognising how you feel, deciding that is not how you want to feel anymore and then taking conscious steps to change you can turn it around you can lift your mood and as a result feel good about your life.
Do you know what you need to do but find yourself not actually doing it?
Or perhaps you need some help getting new habits to be part of your daily routine? If that’s the case then give me a shout and we can set up a one -to- one to help you get some clarity on how to get yourself back on track.
Wishing you the best life you can create,
I also have some FREE goodies for you
If you would like further information or support from Sara Gibbons about divorce, lifestyle or health and wellbeing issues then feel free to ask and we can organise a call together.
Get the Free Course ‘How To Get Over Your Divorce Faster’ here
Get your FREE Health and Wellbeing guide here